Gothic dating south africa
Gothic dating south africa - 3d chat deutsch sex kostenlos
In April 1822 the Magistrate of Albany reported that the gaol was to small and was offensive in that a residential area adjoined it. Large yellow wood beams This building is an excellent example of an early three-storeyed building built in two sections to a symmetrical plan. the former Drostdy grounds, there is another old building which recalls the tempestuous years of 1835 to 1842 when the Governor of the Cape Colony decided to use the Drostdy and the surrounding area in the defence. The Construction of this gaol commenced on 16 April 1813. Each section has its own hipped roof; the floors are served by two staircases, one in front and one of steeper gradient and narrower at the back.
It is generally accepted that this is the oldest Anglican school building in the Republic. The lower floor consists of a kitchen and service rooms while the main floor The house which dates from the year 1860 was built by Bishop Patric Moran who succeeded Bishop Devereaux in 1856 and celebrated his first High Mass in St Patrick's Cathedral on 26 November 1856. One o Early example of a gothic revival church in South Africa. Type of site: Church Current use: Religious – Church. Hipped corrugated iron roof and walls brick plastered.
The foundation stone was laid on 18 June 1844, by Mrs. Bishop Moran left Grahamstown in April 1870 for Rome from w Type of site: House Current use: Museum. Fine riple bay facadewith buttresses and pinnacles. The Commemoration Church, which is predominantly in the neo-Gothic style, was erected to mark the silver jubilee of the arrival of the British Settlers of 1820. The church was inaugurated on 24 November 1850Single storey complex plan.
Hare, wife o Type of site: School Current use: School Good Shepherd School, Grahamstown. This double-storeyed house with its Georgian and Romanesque features was built by Bishop Patrick Moran in 1860 as residence for the priests of St.
This building was opened in 1849 as the school of St.
George's Church and from then onward played an important part in education.
The land on which the Botanical Gardens was established, was granted to the Albany Botanical Gardens by the Governor of the Cape, Sir George Cathcart transfer being passed on 19 October 1853. In April 1822 the Magistrate of Albany reported that the gaol was to small and was offensive in that a residential area adjoined it. Type of site: Educational Previous use: Schoolroom. Erected in 1861 to serve as the first classroom for St. It continued as such until 1872, after which it was used successivley as a Masonic Lodge, business premises and as a dwelling house. It is a double-storeyed house with two projecting pavilions with bow-fronted ends. The facade of this building is of outstanding archite Current use: Offices.
The fine avenue of oak trees running through the centre of the Type of site: Botanical Garden. It was in 1824 whereafter it became a school and later a libra Original building symmetrical with entrance portch and anval style – hood moulds to windows. Surveyor Knobel's layout of Grahamstown was focussed on a main street that ran from the triangular military camp in a westerly direction up the hill. The pagoda roofs and hand-rail on the ve Three bay nave and chancel. This building is an excellent example of an early three-storeyed building built in two sections to a symmetrical plan. It is an important example of 19th century Georgian architecture.
The land on which these gardens were laid out was granted to the Albany Botanical Gardens in 1853 by the Governor of the Cape, Sir George Cathcart. There Botanical Gardens are the second oldest in the count Perimeter wall around three sides. The school was built of local Witteberg quartzite which in the course of the years has weathered to a rich brown colour. He foresaw that the military area offered a most suitable site for a church or other public building, whi Type of site: Gateway. The first section dates from 1860–62 and the latter section from the late 1860s.
It was in 1824 whereafter it became a school and later a libra Type of site: Gaol Previous use: Prison. The Construction of this gaol commenced on 16 April 1813. This house is the only known example in South Africa of the European-Chinese architectural style of the 18th and 19th Centuries. The first section dates from 1860–62 and the latter section from the late 1860s.
The Divisional Council Building is a three-storeyed building built in two sections. DOUBLE STOREY, DOUBLE PILE 4 BAY ASYMMETRICAL PLAN.
Type of site: Church Current use: Religious - Church.
The house dates back to the period shortly after the founding of Grahamstown.